Sunday, September 4, 2011

CT

It has been and interesting time here in Connecticut. We arrived around five ish on Friday evening. We stopped off in Clarks Summit, PA... ahhhh... home... and had lunch at the good ol' Sunrise Cafe. I got a chance to visit with my "regulars" and Dawn got a chance to visit with Heidi. When we got to Fairfield there was no power to speak of, and with out power.. it meant no fridge, no food, no milk for Heidi. So off to Penfield beach we went. We had a lovely evening watching the sunset and Heidi enjoyed the swings and the waters edge. It was very picturesque. We got food from the restaurant down there. I thoroughly enjoyed a lobster roll.

When it started getting to be dusk we left the beach and drove down the point. There we found oodles and oodles of people throwing away rugs, furnishings, you name it... all flood damaged, not to mention the four foot high piles of sand that should have been on the beach. It was so utterly depressing to see where I grew up looking like this. The police had the end of the point blocked off so one could not see all the houses that had fallen into the ocean. After this we drove home...

We drove past numerous dark houses.. mom mentioned that she had not stopped for ice in hopes that the power was back... although we left at 6:37 pm and if UI didn't have it fixed by 7 we would have to wait until the next day. As we rounded the corner at Round Hill Rd we took notice to the fact that our ST lights were lit!! Then one more turn and we saw the porch light was on. Mom told us how she had left it on so we would know right away! She was ex tactic! As was I, but for her it was different... she was going on almost six days with out power. Without hot showers... etc... So when we parked I decided to call dad in Lyme, CT and tease him that we had power here and he decided to go to the lake where there was no power... well... I was wrong. I got on the phone with him and he goes, "Yea.. well ours came on here too!" I hang up and tell my mother... who of course can't believe it, thinks dad was messing with me and calls him. He confirms, and we pack everything, and head off to the lake!

The lake was nice, lots of work to get done.. but we had fun. Mom and I did some shopping, while Michael and my Dad rebuilt the shed. (which looks awesome now might I add) Then I took Michael to the airport in Providence, RI. TOTAL BUMMER!!!! But he will be back in seven weeks and I must be patient! At least I have a lovely support network of family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment